Nov 8, 2015

The Rolling Stones' songs from 1965 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction and Get Off of My Cloud are clearly about the terror of the rules and traditions – the wall – that restrict living and force us to live on the surface.

When I'm drivin' in my car
And that man comes on the radio
And he's tellin' me more and more
About some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination




I live in an apartment on the ninety-ninth floor of my block
And I sit at home looking out the window, imagining the world has stopped
Then in flies a guy who's all dressed up like a Union Jack
And says, I've won five pounds if I have his kind of detergent pack
I said, Hey! You! Get off of my cloud


In this in-depth interview by Jann S. Wenner published in Rolling Stone Magazine on December 14, 1995, Mick Jagger Remembers and talks about (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction and Get Off of My Cloud:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction: it captures a spirit of the times, which is very important in those kind of songs. ... Which was alienation. Or it's a bit more than that, maybe, but a kind of sexual alienation. Alienation's not quite the right word, but it's one word that would do.

Get Off of My Cloud: It's a stop-bugging-me, post-teenage-alienation song. ... The grown-up world was a very ordered society in the early '60s, and I was coming out of it. America was even more ordered than anywhere else. I found it was a very restrictive society in thought and behavior and dress.

0 comments:

Post a Comment